I’ve said it time and time again. If you cannot connect with people, garnering any measure of success in the movie industry will be difficult. The good news is, with a few strategies and techniques, you can begin to build meaningful and profitable relationships with people at an accelerated rate.
LEARN TO BUILD RAPPORT
Rapport is simply a feeling of connection between you and the person (or people) around you. Establishing rapport is the first step to creating a Hollywood relationship.
- Read the trade journals, national newspapers and watch the news whenever you can. This will keep you informed of current events, including sports, finance and especially entertainment.
- When you’re informed, finding conversational topics between strangers will come easier – a skill you’ll need if you ever find yourself meeting potential investors or Hollywood heavyweights for the first time. I know I just mentioned it – but in Hollywood, there are two trade journals. Daily Variety and the Hollywood Reporter. Read them!
- This one is obvious, but watch every movie you can.
- Read business and success books unrelated to filmmaking. I recommend: How to Win Friends & Influence People and Never Eat Alone
- Since communication is mostly body language, one effective technique to building rapport involves mirroring and moving your body in sync with the person you’re talking with. (Just don’t be obvious about this.)
As you meet more people, you’ll begin to expand your context of reality. People will provide you with ideas, help and often introduce you to other people. Add this up over time and you’ll soon see how each person you meet potentially creates a positive ripple effect that will propel you in the direction of your Hollywood goals!