Early in my filmmaking career, I made a lot of mistakes – Many of these mistakes are attributable to a real lack of advice from people with experience. The following video featuring Quentin Tarantino, offers great advice to new filmmakers looking for guidance. (And for those of us filmmakers who have produced a few features – This is still great advice!)
In addition to the filmmaking advice offered in the video, here are 5 things you can do today to accelerate your filmmaking career:
- Write down your filmmaking goals. What do you want to accomplish in 5 years? Be specific.
- Who do you know who knows someone working in the movie industry. How will you contact that person?
- Plan at least one short project you can do each month. Examples would be: music videos, short movies and action sequences.
- Set up a profile at YouTube. I believe YouTube will become a major outlet for your eventual feature films. You may as well start building a fan base now.
- Set up filmmaking page on FaceBook – And then join us at FILMMAKING STUFF FACEBOOK PAGE
Keep in mind the movie industry is changing. In the past – in order to create your own movie business you needed a gazillion dollars and a traditional distribution solution. But those days are almost behind us. You must now think of your movie making as a global business. You no longer need to ask permission to become successful.
If you want to make a movie, make it! Then build a life-long fan base that will enjoy and pay for your work.
– – –
Like this Filmmaking Stuff? Tell the word by tweeting or giving us a thumbs up or leaving a comment.