Have you ever wondered how to become a director? As a filmmaker, bringing your vision to life and sharing your story with the world is one of the primary reasons you make movies. Add the fact that making movies is a lot of fun should be enough to motivate anybody to get their movies made.
Yet very few would-be filmmakers will ever take the chance at actually making and directing a movie. Why is that?
While I cannot speak for everybody, I can tell you the most people are simply afraid that their movie will suck. So instead of actually producing a movie, these fearful filmmakers decide instead to produce a list of excuses that goes something like this:
Top 10 Excuses Why You Won’t Become a Director
- I don’t have enough money.
- There is no talent where I live.
- We don’t have a camera (or lights, locations, insurance, et al.)
- Nobody cares about our movies unless we live in Hollywood.
- My movie is not a real movie unless it has name actors.
- I don’t want to make a short. I am waiting to make my feature.
- Maybe next year. I’m busy with my day job.
- I am too old to direct a movie.
- I am too young to direct a movie.
- I don’t know how to become a director.
The truth is, people will never hire you to be a director unless you have already directed something. Nobody cares about your vision or ideas… They want proof that you can actually make something. And the only way you can give them proof is by answering this question:
“Given the resources that I have right now, what is the movie that I can make this year?”
Once you conjure the courage to answer this question, great things will start to happen for you. You will be forced to abandon all self limiting beliefs. They you will grab a camera, find some actor friends and make your movie now!
If you produce a short film, you will put it on YouTube and share your work with the world. If you produce a feature, then you will figure out how to market and sell your movie. But you will not make excuses.
Only by taking action and actually directing something, will you finally figure out how to become a director.