Production management software is essential for breaking down, scheduling and budgeting your movie. And if you’ve been into filmmaking for any length of time, you’ve probably heard producers talk about Movie Magic or the affordable alternative Gorilla. But as a result of a faster and more accessible internet, many producers are forgoing desktop software for the cloud.
Production Management Software
One of the latest programs to enter the scene is called LightSPEED eps (affiliate link). In addition to being an awesome script breakdown and scheduling program, LightSPEED eps allows you to centralize your production information and provide secure access from your computer, wireless device, from anywhere with internet access.
For example, let’s say you are based in LA, but your First AD is based in NYC. With this web-based production management software, you can provide your your First AD team with essential information without hopping on a flight. Additionally, you have the ability to oversee all aspects of your project.
And if something changes, you will be able to notify your staff of critical updates in real time! Additionally, this production management software provides the following features:
1. Script Import And Breakdown: LightSPEED allows you to quickly and easily import your screenplay into the system, break it down into scenes, and from there you can identify and associate elements with the scenes. The scenes are then highlighted with industry standard colors representing interior, exterior, and the time of day.
2. Track Every Element: With LightSPEED every element of your production is tracked. All the elements are laid out before you but can be filtered by element type. You will see how many scenes each element appears in and which department is responsible for getting the element. Color coded icons provide status – has a location been locked or are we still scouting?
3. Revise Your Breakdown: With LightSPEED, it’s easy to revise your script breakdown without starting from scratch. New scenes and scene parts can be inserted between old ones, and can be identified by industry standard or custom scene numbering. Revisions are easy and precise.
4. Stripboard Management: Stripboards in LightSPEED are keyed to script pages, scenes, and elements. Additionally, if you are working with multiple units, Lightspeed allows you to create separate stripboards and calendars for each unit.
5. Mobile Crew Cards: LightSpeed provides an electronic production timecard system. The timecard application allows crew Members to enter time on their mobile phones. From there, department approvers can review and approve the timecards on mobile devices or laptops.
After getting a demo with the management team, I left the meeting convinced that LightSPEED represents the future of script breakdown and production management. And because these guys are very indie filmmaker friendly, they have provided Filmmaking Stuff readers with a free trial.
In full disclosure, since getting the demo, I have created an referral relationship with these guys, so should you wish to try out the system beyond the free trial, we will receive compensation. So you will want to conduct your own due diligence. To find out more about go to: IndieProductionTool.com