Making movies is fun, exciting and often incredibly challenging.
In my career, I’ve experienced heartache as well as the surreal, super exciting moments that come when people begin to know my work. This is the reason we do what we do. And as a filmmaker, it is essential that you create a clear and exciting vision for yourself and your future… Because (believe me) you’ll need something exciting to focus on, should things get challenging…
I’m serious about this. Making a career making movies is a long term game. One of the mental attributes that all successful people share in common is a never ending ability to keep their eye on the prize. The secret formula for filmmaking success is patience plus unyielding persistence in a face of adversity.
What does your ideal future look like? In order to create meaningful success in both your filmmaking career and your life, it’s essential that you get a clear idea of what you want. This will involve setting some goals for yourself and writing them down. The following actions will help you hone in your movie ideas, your money ideas and also help you paint a picture of your ideal future.
- Take out some paper and write down three ideas for movies you want to make in your lifetime.
- How much money would you like to have?
- How much money do you have now?
- What will you do to get the money you need?
- The people you hang out with will influence your success. Are you hanging out with people who share your vision? Or, are you hanging out with negative people?
Once you get an idea of where you are and where you want to go, you can begin to take steps in your desired direction.