If you want to get ahead in the crazy industry of movies, you would be best to follow the following 5 tips for movie industry success:
1. Read every business book you can, even the ones not related to movies. In fact, focus on business books not related to movies. Why? For many of you, most of your potential investors will work in other industries. You’ll want to know how to frame your movie project in such a way that it sounds like sound business!
Get a Job
2. If you have to take a job to survive, you may as well learn how to sell. I say this because no matter what you do, your success will depend on your ability to sell yourself and your projects. Plus, as an added bonus, professional sales people sometimes make more than doctors and lawyers.
Set Clear Goals
3. Have a clear idea of what you want to accomplish in your movie career. So many people are clueless. They go around and around, always saying things like: “This is going to be the year I really get focused.” Twenty years later, they are saying the same stuff. If you haven’t written down your filmmaking goals, you run the risk of becoming one of those people. Don’t do that.
4. In the event you are between industry jobs, create your own project. These days, making short movies and uploading to YouTube is super inexpensive. There is no excuse not to make skits and try to gauge audience reaction. No good responses, then make another movie. Try to learn how to make things happen on the small screen, and the big screen will follow.
Become a Marketing Machine
5. Finally, in ways akin to learning how to sell, you must also learn a thing or two about internet marketing. Distribution is changing. And in time, everything may well be video on demand. You need to prepare for this shift… In the future success will belong to the best marketers. (You still need to do good work!)
Hope this helps. And if you haven’t signed up for the free course offered by www.filmmakingstuff.com, what are you waiting for?